DISASTER PREPAREDNESS FOR THOSE WITH DISABILITIES
Being prepared for an emergency is important for everyone, but especially for people with disabilities and the families who care for them. Follow these guidelines to create a preparedness plan that keeps everyone in the family safe.
How to Prepare for Natural Disasters for Those with Disabilities
- Build a preparedness kit. In addition to the usual items, include prescription medications and extra parts or batteries for necessary medical equipment. Include familiar, comforting items for children or adults who may be particularly upset about a change in routine.
- Collect the names, addresses—including email addresses—phone numbers and social media contacts for friends, family members and health care providers you may need to call on in case of emergency. Make a hard copy of the list and place it in your preparedness kit.
- Know your neighbors. Make sure the people in closest physical proximity to you know you may need extra help in case of disaster. Have at least one person you can call on who is available to provide support quickly.
- Know your limits and your strengths. Can you exit your home quickly or drive yourself to a shelter? Do you know how to turn off your utilities? Discuss your list of needs with your support team.
- Plan a safe space. If you are caring for someone whose disability requires constant medical care, where would you go in case of evacuation? If you must shelter at home, is the safest place in your house accessible to all? Everyone should be able to reach shelter if a disaster occurs.
- Plan to recover. Recovering from a disaster can be a long and stressful experience. Researching which disaster restoration services provide the special services you may need, before you need them, will help life get back to normal as soon as possible.
Safety in an emergency is important for everyone, and every individual has their own unique set of capabilities to share during stressful times. Being honest about your needs and your skills should be a part of your plan. We’re committed to Giving Back What Disaster Took. If you need disaster repair services, you can rely on RESCON. Contact us today at 833.4RESCON.